Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: A7 port size

  1. #1
    Inactive Member edfallon's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I've got an old pair of A7 825 cabinets ca. 1957. I'd like to update the original 803 woofers to new GPA 416-8C. I did some quick box modeling using WinISD and a good model shows 8cu'(I'm guessing that is the rear chamber size of an 825 box), tuned to 24hz, with series resistance of 2 ohms (SET amps). Modeled F3 is about 40hz with F6 about 31hz. What surprises me is the dimensions of the existing port. It's way too big. The modeled port would be a 4" tube around 5" long. Did Altec tune a peak at 50 - 80hz to comensate for the shelved bass reflex response below the horn cutoff? While not perfect, an A7 seems to sound much better than modeling would indicate.

    -Ed

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcome, Ed,

    That's been disscussed at length in this old thread;

    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...c&f=3729&t=904

    as well as a few others that can be found using the search feature. Pretty much all one might wonder about A7s and a whole lot more. Of particular note are GM's contributions.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member edfallon's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My bad! Your right, this topic has been talked to death already.

    -Ed

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Ed,

    I followed those recommendations, but eventually I went back to the stock opening with the 416-8B. Don't know why it just sounds most natural to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.